Chief Operating Officer
Join a small, growing team dedicated to educating girls and developing future women leaders in some of the most challenging geographies in the world.
Founded in 2008, Mercy Beyond Borders (MBB) works only in places of extreme poverty. It supports the education of girls and provides leadership development and skills training to young women in remote villages of South Sudan, refugee camps in Uganda, and rural mountains of Haiti.
This COO opportunity is ideal for a mission-focused, experienced, strategic and process-minded individual with the management skills and interpersonal strengths to lead an international team and deliver measurable, cost-effective results. The COO will develop systems and processes that both improve and communicate MBB’s impact.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the COO partners with the ED to implement MBB’s strategic plan. The organization recently received a seven-figure global award, which has poised it for expansion. The COO will support that growth and shape both the infrastructure to accommodate it and the teams to implement it.
You will step into a leadership role as #2 in the organization, responsible for managing the administration, hiring and supervising the home team, working with the ED to enhance overseas programs, and ensuring that the systems supporting this amazing organization are working optimally.
If you have these skills and qualifications, we want to hear from you:
- You have passion for the advancement of women and girls mired in extreme poverty
- You are a team player, a skilled problem-solver and project manager.
- You are a demonstrated operational leader, who can develop policies and procedures for internal operations and ensure optimal program impact overseas.
- You can support and supervise main office staff and operations.
- You can work closely with the ED, who will remain responsible for fund-raising, donor stewardship, and external communications.
- Personal integrity beyond reproach.
- Undergraduate degree in business or related field.
- Post-graduate degree in relevant field; MBA or Master’s in International Relations preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a nonprofit senior management role with demonstrated initiative in leading social change.
- Proven effectiveness as a manager: listening, team building, valuing diversity, demonstrating cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Ability and passion to drive positive organizational development.
- Excellent judgment, creative problem-solving, solid speaking and writing skills.
- Strong mentoring/coaching skills for a team with diverse levels of expertise.
- Highly tech-savvy, competent to interact knowledgeably with IT vendors.
- Demonstrated experience in grants management, financial management, budgets, and legal compliance.
- Energetic, flexible, and collaborative, with a sense of humor and the ability to positively impact both strategic and tactical administrative and programmatic initiatives.
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
To Apply: Submit CV with cover letter explaining motivation and fit to: laura@laurapowellLLC.com