Mercy Beyond Borders
1885 De La Cruz Blvd, #101
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Mercy Beyond Borders (MBB) forges ways for women and girls in extreme poverty to learn, connect, and lead. In war-torn South Sudan, rural Haiti, and refugee camps in Uganda and Kenya, MBB develops the talent, leadership, and advocacy potential of marginalized women and girls.
The Development Manager plans, organizes, and coordinates the annual workflow and production of fundraising efforts for Mercy Beyond Borders. The organization just celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2018 and is building its support base to strengthen programming for the women and girls it serves.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic self-starter with experience in fundraising, database management, report writing, marketing, social media, and project management. S/he is comfortable working in a small organization with limited structure and resources. S/he will also be comfortable working with staff, board members, volunteers, and donors. This person is flexible, adaptable, and able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines. S/he must possess a strong personal commitment to the advancement of young women whom we serve in Haiti, South Sudan, Kenya, and Uganda. The Development Manager reports to the founder/Executive Director, Sister Marilyn Lacey.
The Development Manager will design a fundraising plan for Mercy Beyond Borders, set annual objectives, and lead fundraising efforts to achieve these objectives. Specific responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop an overall fundraising plan and to set annual revenue and expense objectives.
- Within the fundraising plan, develop separate strategies/plans for: 1) building the base of individual donors with an emphasis on acquiring more major donors; 2) stewarding current institutional donors and acquiring new ones; 3) planning and implementing profitable events.
- Work with the Board, the Exec. Director, and the Development Committee to execute these plans.
- Design, develop, and draw reports from the SalesForce CRM, preparing reports that analyze donor trends, history, projections, demographics, and more, as needed.
- Research current and potential donors and grant opportunities..
- Prepare portfolios to guide donor outreach, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Assure that donors are accurately and promptly tracked and acknowledged.
- Track all development activities and results; provide regular updates and dashboards to the ED, board, and staff.
- Work with the event committee to plan, coordinate, and implement an annual fundraiser, to include: facilitating the Event Task Force, managing event logistics, managing event collateral and social media, and serving as the staff manager on the day of the event.
- Plan and implement other smaller gatherings each year, including events celebrating volunteers, staff, donors, and others.
- Plan and implement the annual printed and electronic appeal mailing.
- Manage the Mercy Beyond Borders website.
- Participate in and support the Development Committee and any other committee, as appropriate.
- Working with the Executive Director and the Development Committee, manage social network presence and profiles, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, leading research and populating with relevant content.
- Oversee production of newsletters, brochures, external e-mails, and other marketing communications and outreach materials.
- 2+ years’ experience in a fundraising, project management, and/or marketing and communications role
- Passion for the Mercy Beyond Borders mission
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability with the Microsoft Office suite, Google Apps, and facility with the Salesforce donor CRM.
- Demonstrated skills in writing and proofreading
- Demonstrated skills in marketing, social media, and project management
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Adaptability to changing circumstances and priorities
- College degree
- Experience in developing and organizing proposals for varying audiences
- Experience managing major events
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational skills
- Demonstrated excellence in writing skills
- Leadership experience, e.g., supervising a team and/or working with board members
ABOUT MERCY BEYOND BORDERS
Sr. Marilyn Lacey founded Mercy Beyond Borders in 2008 to transform the lives of women and girls in extreme poverty. Our work began in South Sudan because it was, in Sister Marilyn’s words, “by far the most devastated place I’d ever seen in my decades of doing refugee work.” MBB also works with S.Sudanese refugees in Kenya and Uganda. In 2011 MBB expanded into Haiti in response to the earthquake that killed a quarter-million people while displacing tens of thousands more. MBB is deeply involved in the lives of the women and girls we work with. We support over 1,000 girls in primary schools, over 300 young women on high school and college scholarships, hundreds of women entrepreneurs, and dozens more in adult literacy classes.
Mercy Beyond Borders is a superb place to work if:
- Our mission inspires you profoundly.
- You want to be part of a small, smart, fun collaborative team that is relentless about achieving the mission.
- You care deeply about the education and empowerment of impoverished women and girls.
- You want an opportunity to build and shape the continuing growth of Mercy Beyond Borders.
Competitive, depending upon experience. Benefits include paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid maternity leave.
To apply, e-mail your cover letter and resume to Sr. Marilyn Lacey: firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please address why you are a good match for Mercy Beyond Borders, and why Mercy Beyond Borders is a good match for you.
Position Open Immediately